Friday, January 05, 2007

Welcome Oracle & .Net developers

For quite some time I've been planning on creating a Blog to share my thoughts and knowledge with the people. So today I’m posting my first post (I hope the first of many…).

As you can see in the “About Me” section, I’m a .Net consultant working in Oracle (I’m sure this fact puzzles some of you :-) . As you probably know, there are more than a few .Net project that chose to use Oracle as their database. That’s the reason Oracle is committed to provide the best connectivity and functionality between these two platforms, and that is why I’m here.

In this Blog you will find posts on best practices with Oracle .Net related products like “Oracle Data Provider for .Net” (ODP.NET), "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio .Net" (ODT.NET), "Oracle Database Extensions for .Net". I will also submit information and code, on database connectivity from other products like the ASP.NET 2.0 Providers, log4net.
In addition, I will try to demonstrate open source solutions that help developers build a good enterprise application, like NHibernate, Spring.Net, etc.

So… that’s it for now. I will appreciate any feedbacks on stuff related to .Net and Oracle that you would like to see in this Blog.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

DomBrooks said...

Hi,

Good start on the blog.

I've recently started working with a database that supports an ODP.NET client. My main experience comes from JDBC applications and I'm very surprised by the lack of support for Oracle user-defined types in ODP.NET (support which exists in JDBC). The only support for Oracle collections seems to be for associative arrays/index-by tables/plsql tables (obsessive name changing).

It's frustrating to see application developers having to resort to constructing dynamic IN lists for SQL when the natural desire to use some sort of array parameter.

In your privileged position, do you have any insight as to why this support is missing? Or whether it might one day arrive?


Cheers,
Dominic

Tomer Avissar said...

As for constructing dynamic IN lists, you can use associative arrays, like you said.

About User Defined Types (UDT's): Support will be available in next release of ODP.NET which is now at a beta stage.